President Trump very early Sunday morning released a statement on the gunman who opened fire on Secret Service agents near the White House.
Approximately 20-30 gunshots were heard near the White House on Saturday evening shortly after President Trump announced he had “largely negotiated” a deal with Iran.
Pool reporters were told to run inside the press briefing room.
The shots were fired near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW.
ABC News White House Correspondent Selina Wang was in the middle of taping on her iPhone for a social media video when the shots were fired.
Selina Wang ducked down amid the gunfire.
WATCH:
I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now. pic.twitter.com/iqdQwh4soq
— Selina Wang (@selinawangtv) May 23, 2026
The gunman brandished a pistol and fired shots toward the White House three times. Secret Service returned fire and took down the shooter.
A bystander was also struck by gunfire.
The gunman, identified as 21-year-old Nesire Best, was known to Secret Service and previously tried to access the White House.
Nesire Best
Nesire Best died after he was transported to a hospital.
President Trump praised Secret Service and law enforcement in a statement very early Sunday morning.
Trump’s full statement:
Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure.
The gunman is dead after an exchange of gunfire with Secret Service Agents near the White House gates.
This event is one month removed from the White House Correspondent’Dinner shooting, and goes to show how important it is, for all future Presidents, to get, what will be, the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C. The National Security of our Country demands it!
The post President Trump Releases Statement on Gunman Who Opened Fire on Secret Service Near White House appeared first on The Gateway Pundit.